Sunday, September 20, 2009

Div. C again @ Mountain View - Aug 16

I was playing after my Berkeley high, and playing in one division higher.

Game1 - Paula
It was a close game that I lost to by a tactical mistake towards the end. Should have played ICE 14A, instead played 13I CIG. It would have still been a close game, but in this one, she closed it out carefully.

Game2 - TC
She got me with a high-play FUTZ towards the end, after which I couldn't recover, lost by 22 again.

Game3 - Tapani
After two close games, I got my first win for the day. Tapani started with a bingo DISPUTE. I matched it with RERAISE(D) and it was a close game until a few turns. On my 5th turn, I exchanged, and seemed to have drawn pretty well since then. In the end, he couldn't catch up.

Game4 - Bryan Goolsby
Bryan started with a phony UNFATED* which was duly challenged off. I found a nice find FRIGHTEN to run away in turn 5 with 84 points, and played KNAVE for 45 points on turn 6. With a healthy lead, I probably got carried away when I played DISTILED* on turn 7 which was challenged off. In the end, the margin was a close one, me winning by 25 points.

Game5 - Pat
Pat has been my nemesis for a few rounds now, and I let her off easily by not blocking the only bingo spot. It was a different matter that I had an orphan sitting on my rack. I had a handsome (from the standpoint of that day's games) lead of 22 which I should have protected probably in a closed board.

Game6 - Paula
I was playing Paula for a 3rd place finish. I got lucky drawing TELEX on the opening rack. And then a few more high scoring moves like QUAICH and AEDILES. In the end, it was a close game and the margin was 25 points.

It was all close games (kinda), and felt like I could beat them, and probably got rid of my nerves. Hopefully I should be better prepared for the next time. Hey, I do have a rating of 1600+ online, and my NASPA rating of 1225 doesn't do justice probably.

No comments:

Post a Comment